As the name suggests, sweet potatoes are basically sweet, soft and mostly eaten boiled/baked. They can be boiled and eaten raw or mashed. Sweet potato soup is another enjoyable dish. Recipe for it will be posted soon.
This recipe shows how to pan sear sweet potatoes. The flavour is both sweet and spicy.
- 4-5 Sweet potatoes
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- Asafoetida powder
- Refined groundnut oil (or) any oil.
Ingredients to grind for the masala powder
- ½ tblsp of small mustard
- 1 tblsp Coriander powder
- 1 tblsp Poppy seed
- ½ tblsp Chilli powder
- ½ tblsp Fenugreek
- 1 tblsp Cumin
- ½ tblsp Pepper
- Salt as required.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into halves without removing the skin. Boil the sweet potatoes in a pan or pressure cooker until they are completely soft but not mashed. Let them cool and then peel of the skin. Cut them into thick round slices. Keep them aside.
- In a food processor, put all the ingredients mentioned above to grind for the masala powder. Grind them until they are roughly powdered. It is better if they are chunky.
- Heat 5-6 tblsp of oil in a flat bottomed pan in a high flame.Add the mustard seeds and wait till they pop out.Then add the curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Now carefully place the sweet potato slices one by one into the pan so that they don’t stick together. Sprinkle the masala powder on top of the slices and let them roast for about 3-4 mins in a low flame. No need to deep fry.Now turn the slices and sprinkle the masala powder again over the slices. Repeat the procedure until the slices are completely covered on both sides.
- When the slices turn into dark golden color,take them out of the pan using a laddle. Using a paper towel drain excess oil.
Your delicious pan seared sweet potatoes are ready to eat. Bon Appétit J
Please feel free to share your suggestions and comments.