Happy Thanksgiving folks !! Hope you all had a wonderful time with your family.I am sure all your tummies were full of delicious delicacies.
I made this recipe for Diwali and had almost forgotten to post it..This Diwali was great.I had an amazing time with potlucks and few crackers in the temple.It was super fun and exiting to see nearly a thousand people celebrating Diwali in an open ground.So many beautiful colors were bursting in the sky .There were a lot of kids laughing and running around.It was great !!
Coming to the recipe, vada or lentil fritter is a popular starter of southern India.It is traditionally deep fried in oil to get the crispy outer layer and steamy soft texture inside.But I steamed and baked them with just ONE SPOON of oil.Yes ......it is very healthy as lentils are rich in protein.What are you waiting for ? Get started already :)
Sweet Corn Masal Vada:
Ingredients for Baked Masal Vada
- Channa dal - 1 cup (soak for atleast 3 hrs)
- Sweet corn - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 chopped
- Green chillies - 3 finely chopped
- Red Chillies - 3
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Ginger - small piece
- Cilantro - few leaves
- Mint leaves - small bunch
- Curry leaves - a few
- Oil - 1 spoon
Method for Baked Masal Vada
- Soak channa dal for atleast 3 hrs.
- Grind fennel red chillies,ginger into a paste and keep separately.
- Grind the soaked channa dal without water or less water into a course paste.
- Finely chop Onions,green chillies,cilantro,mint leaves into very small pieces.
- Take a large bowl,mix the paste,channa dal, chopped veggies and sweet corn.Add 1-2 tsp of salt according to taste.
- Take a idly steamer,grease it with a drop of oil and scoop a spoonful of the batter on each plate of the steamer and steam them in a pressure cooker without whistle for 5 mins until they are half cooked.Let it cool for 2 mins.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.Take a cookie sheet,add a little cooking spray if you want.Arrange the steamed patties and bake them for 10 mins on each side or until crispy.
- If you do not have an oven,you can roast them in a pan.Take a wide pan,add very little oil.After its hot,place the vada patties into the pan.Let it roast on each side for 3-5 mins until they are brown and crispy.
Pineapple Pudding/Pineapple Kesari
My husband always gets a pineapple whenever we go grocery shopping.I know they are delicious and juicy but you sort of run out of ideas if you have an entire pineapple stocked in your kitchen.I juice them every now and then but this time I wanted to try a pudding out of it.
This recipe has all natural ingredients and no artificial flavor.
- Pineapple, finely cubed - 1 and 1/2 cup
- Roasted Rava/Sooji - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 and 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Nuts (cashew,pistachio,walnuts)
- Saffron -a few strands
- Cardamom - 3 pods peeled and powdered
- Water - 5 cups
Method for Pineapple Kesari
- Wash,peel and cut the pineapple into small cubes
- Take 2 cups of water in a small pan and add 1/2 cup sugar.Stir in low flame until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the pineapple cubes and let it cook for 10-15 mins until they are soft.Switch off the flame and let it cool.Grind them in a food processor until pureed and keep aside.
- In a skillet,add the ghee and roast the nuts and raisins until brown.Keep aside.
- In a large pan add 3 cups of water and let it boil.Add 1 cup of sugar and let it dissolve.
- Add the pureed pineapple.Mix well.Add the sooji and let it cook while stirring continuously for about 5 mins.Add the ghee with the nuts and mix well.The sooji will stop sticking to the sides of the pan.Now its time to switch off the flame and transfer it to a greased plate.
- Let it cool for 5 mins and cut them into desired shapes
- If you don't have a pineapple,you can use an artificial imitation pineapple flavor but I do not recommend it.Natural pineapple brings out this bold zesty flavor and makes this pudding worth it.
- If you are a diabetic you can avoid the sugar completely as pinaepple has a little sugar in it.Or you can use a sugar substitue.