Happy Krishna Jayanthi everyone !!
Krishna Jayanthi or Krishna Janmashtami denotes the birthday of Lord Krishna and it is celebrated all over India.In Southern India, houses are decorated with footprints made out of rice flour on the floor, to symbolize Krishna's childhood sport of stealing butter and running away. With kids in the house,it is even more fun as baby's teeny tiny cute foot is dipped in the flour to create the footprint all around the house.
The baby Krishna tales are really interesting and I have been collecting various baby krishna pics since my childhood.
This recipe Shahi Tukra is a bread pudding with lots of milk and crunchy nuts.Ususlly bread in fried in oil and dipped in sugar water but I am making a low fat version of it.So we are going to make a lot of changes in the original recipe.
- Milk - 1 litre
- Sugar - 1 cup
- White milk bread - 3 slices
- Cardamom powder - a small pinch
- Saffron - a few strands
- Almond powder - 2 tblsp
- Sliced almonds - a few
- pistachio - 5-6 cut lengthwise
- Condensed milk - 1/4 cup
- butter/ghee - 3tblsp
- Boil milk without sugar and let it reduce to half the size simmering in low flame.
- Then add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Add the cardamom powder,almond powder and saffron.Keep aside.
- In a large pan,toast the bread until brown and crunchy.Sprinkle gentle amount of sugar on top and turn on both sides until they are caramalized. Cut each slice into four small pieces.Keep aside.
- In another pan,add the butter and let it melt.Add the cashew,almonds,pistachio and let it roast.Add this to the milk.
- You can serve this dessert in two ways.
- Serving it cold : Pour hot milk over the bread immediately.Do not stir.Let it cool and then keep it in the fridge.
- Serving it hot : Take a small bowl and keep the bread.Just before serving,heat the milk and pour it over the bread generously.