Punjabi Dum Aloo is a rich gravy with fried potatoes.It is often served with roti or biryani.Baby potatoes are the key ingredient in this recipe but since I couldn't get them I made it with cubed normal potatoes.A large amount of fresh cream is required to get the rich creamy taste.But if you are on weight watch,you can substitute by adding fresh yogurt.
- Baby potatoes -10 to 15 (or)
- Small potatoes – 5 to 6 cubed
- Ghee – 4 tblsp
- Oil – 4 tblsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 4 whole
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Cloves – 4
- Bay leaf – 1
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp or as desired
- Kasuri methi(optional) – 1 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp or as desired
- Sugar – ¼ tsp
For the gravy :
- Onion - 2 large
- Tomatoes – 4
- Cashews – 10 to 15
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tblsp
- Fresh cream – ½ cup
- fresh yogurt - 2 tblsp
- Wash and peel the baby potatoes. Using a fork prick them and half boil them in a large pan of water for 5 mins. If you are using small potatoes instead, cut them in quarters and repeat the same procedure.
- Add ghee in a pan and fry the half boiled potatoes until they are well cooked.Drain them and keep aside.Keep the ghee for future use.
- Slice the onion into thin slices. Chop the tomatoes and puree them. Keep aside.
- In a large skillet, add oil and the drained ghee. Add all the whole spices, Bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds etc. Let the aroma arise by frying them for 2 mins.
- Add the ginger garlic paste.Fry for 2 mins.Add the sliced onions. Fry them for a few mins until they are golden brown.Add salt,sugar,garam masala,red chilli powder.Saute them continuously for a few minutes until the raw smell goes and the color changes.
- Then add the pureed tomatoes.Fry for a few minutes.Add yogurt and simmer for 2 mins.
- Soak the cashews in warm water for 5 mins ,then grind them to a fine paste.Add it to the pan.Adjust salt.Add the fried potatoes and mix well.Add some water and let it simmer for 10 mins until the potatoes absorb some gravy.Now finally add the fresh cream and kasuri methi and simmer for 10 mins in a low flame.