Originated from Italy, Spaghetti is a form of Pasta.It is often served with a traditional marinara sauce.
Ready to use marinara sauce is available in all super markets.In this recipe the marinara sauce is made from scratch :) . Ok let's begin...
- 1 box spaghetti
- 2 white onions chopped
- 3 large tomoatoes chopped and crushed
- 3-4 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 bunch of basil leaves
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese(I like cheddar cheese)
- A pinch of dried Oregono
- 3-4 tblsp extra vigin Olive oil
|Spaghetti - closeup|
Care has to be taken while cooking any kind of pasta.If it is under cooked it will be rubbery and if it is overcooked it becomes mushy .Each type of pasta has a certain cooking time.The back of the box contains cooking instructions.The perfect cooking time for spaghetti is 11 mins. However take a few strands in between the cooking time to check .Hold the strand in between your fingers and press it.If it is still hard , then allow it to cook a few more minutes.
Basil is the main ingredient in marinara sauce.It is a culinary herb used in Italian cooking .It is rich in flavour.
Preparing the Marinara Sauce:
- In a frying pan,add olive oil in medium heat.Add the finely minced garlic and onion.Saute for a few minutes until the onion is half cooked..Add a pinch of salt.Now add the tomatoes and minced basil leaves.Mix well.
- Bring it to low flame and allow it to simmer for 40-45 mins until the sauce gets thickened.Remove from flame.Add the oregano and mix well.
To cook the pasta:
- Take a large pot and fill 3 quarts of it with water.Bring it to boil.Add a small amount of salt and a few drops of oil.When water starts bubbling,Add the spaghetti into it.Dont stir it now as this will break the pasta.After a few minutes stir it occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking.
- Let it cook for about 11 mins or as instructed in the box.
- After the pasta is cooked,drain it and toss it on the marinara sauce.Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese on top.I have used cheddar cheese slices as I like its flavour and i want the pieces to be chuncky.
Your traditional Spaghetti marinara is ready to eat.Bon Appétit :)
Please feel free to share your suggestions and comments.