The one food I never get bored of is Chaat.The famous Indian street food is so tangy and delicious that I could eat them every single day.Yummy !! I literally drool just by seeing the pictures.Who doesn't love chat.Every state in India has its own version of chaat and almost every area has a small shop at the end of the street full of crowded people eagerly waiting for their turn to eat the yummy goodness.Undoubedly it should be named the National food of India. Do you guys agree? :)
In case you are wondering why I named it Chana chaat, it is a small twist to the traditional Masala puri.Instead of green peas I have used Chickpeas and made chana masala .In the tradional recipe, we crunch the puri and pour the masala over it but I like eating the puri with all the stuffing inside and stuff my mouth with all the tangy goodness.Hence the name Chana chaat.
For this recipe you can use the puri which is either homemade or store bought.To make the puri ,the recipe is below.
Ingredients to make the puri
- Semolina (Rava / Sooji) - 1 cup
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Maida - 3 tblsp
To make the puri:
- Combine maida, rava, baking soda and salt in a large container. Add very little water and start kneading the dough with your hands. If the dough is hard then add more water until you get a smooth and soft consistency. Allow it to rest for around 20 min.
- Knead the dough once again and make small balls. Using the roller, roll out the dough into a thin layer .Now cut out a small round shape,about half the size of your palm with a mold or the back of a lid.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the puri one by one.After it turns into light golden brown, turn it over using a ladle.Press the ladle in the center and along the edges to make the puri puff up.
- When both the sides are done,take out the puri and place them on paper towels to drain excess oil.
Ingredients for Chana chaat (serves 2-3)
- Small Puri - 10-15
- Onion - 1 small chopped
- Tomato - 1 chopped (optional)
- Boiled chickpeas / chana masala - 1 cup
For chana masala recipe click here.
- Tamarind Chutney
- Mint Chutney
- Plain sev
- Chop the onion,tomato and cilantro and keep them separately.
- Prepare the chana masala and let it cool to room temperature.Do not refrigerate.
- Make a small hole in the centre of each puri. Scoop a small amount of the cooled chana masala.
- Add onions,tomatoes, tamarind chutney,mint chutney.
- Sprinkle sev on top of the puri and add cilantro.Serve immediately.
Dont combine the puri with the stuffing as it will become soggy.Its better to keep everything separately and combine them just before you serve them.
Enjoy every bite of it and let me know your suggestions.If you have tried any other version of masala puri please do leave it in the comments section :)
pictures talking to me that to grab me the whole part of the masala puri.laavy thats fantasticReplyDelete
Love the yummy chataka chaatReplyDelete
beautiful pictures again :)