Vegetable Kurma is a spicy vegetable stew made by boiling vegetables in aromatic spices to form a stew.Spices and coconut are then added to enhance the flavor and texture.The gravy is then cooked in a large pan in medium heat so the vegetables absorb the spicy stew.This is good with rice and roti.
- Onion - 3
- Tomato - 2
- Carrot - 2
- Potato, medium - 4
- Beans - 5 or 6
- Cauliflower florets - 1 cup roughly cut
- Green peas - a handlful
- Giner garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 2tsp or as desired
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro - a small bunch chopped.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or as desired
To Temper :
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Bay leaves
- Cinnamon stick -1
- Cardamom whole - 3
- Star Anise - 1
- Cloves - 4
- Oil - 4 tblsp
To grind :
- Coconut - 1/2 cup shredded
- Fennel seeds - 1 tblsp
- poppy seed - 1/2 tsp
- cashews - 6
- Cut all the vegetables except onion and tomatoes into large chunks.
- Boil them in an large pan with little salt.Do not drain the water as we will use it for the stew.Instead,you can pressure cook the vegetables for one whistle.
- Add the ingredients under "To grind" to a food processor and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes into small pieces and keep them aside.
- In a large deep bottomed pan,add oil.Add the spices under "To temper". Roast them for a min.
- Add the chopped onion and saute them for 5 min until they start to brown slightly.Add little salt.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 min.Add the chopped tomatoes and mix it well.
- Let them cook until the tomatoes turn light mushy.Now turn the gas to low flame and add garam masala and red chili powder and pinch of salt.
- Add excess oil if required.Mix the masala well and keep sauteing until the raw smell goes.Now add the masala which we ground into a paste.
- Change the flame to medium and keep stirring until oil gets separated from the gravy.Now add the vegetables along with the stew.Mix well and close the pan with a lid.
- Change the flame to low and let it simmer for 15 min.Switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.Serve hot with rice or roti.
Inviting and delicious kurma...ReplyDelete
delicious veg stew n what a beautiful clicks!!!ReplyDelete
Thank you for sharing the step by step instructions. Tried this recipe today and made yummy kurma!ReplyDelete