With the whole world going crazy about Instapot (IP),I wanted to know what the fuss was all
About. So I went ahead and bought Instapot Lux during the black friday sale for $49 . Let me tell you that this was one of the best kitchen gadgets I have bought so far. Its worth the hype and I am so glad. It had made my cooking so much easier and it never burns at the bottom . Its super quick and makes indian cooking a lot less intimidating.Its basically an electric pressure cooker which combines the funtionality of a cooker,slow cooker,yogurt maker,steamer and lots more...
Pulao or Biryani in Instapot gives a very traditional unique taste.It is similar to the dum style which I have never been able to achieve.I make a lot of gravies so quickly which used to take so much time in a stovetop. I have to keep checking constantly to avoid burning of food at the bottom. But Instapot is a savior. I can sauté and pressure cook in the same pot. The warm mode is amazing. It doesn’t dry out the rice even if I keep it warm mode for 4-5 hrs.Rice cooker usually dries out the rice and burns the bottom layer.The pot is stainless steel which I feel is the healthiest option for cooking.
This pulao recipe doesn't have a lot of masala in it.It is simple and elegant with min ingredients but the flavor is full and delicious.
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Water - 2 1/2 cups depending on the rice
- Onion - 2 ,very thinly sliced
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tblsp
- Mint leaves - 1/2 cup
- Mixed veggies (Carrot,Beans) -1/2 cup chopped
- Green peas - 1/4 cup fresh or frozen
- Sweet corn - 1/4 cup fresh or frozen
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 3 to 4 slit in half
- Oil/Ghee - 4 tblsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Bay leaves -3
- cinnamon stick -1
- Star anise-1
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 1/4 cup
- Wash and rinse the rice until starch goes off.Drain and soak it in water for atleast 30 min.
- Heat oil/Ghee in a pan.Add all the spices under tempering.Let them roast for 2 min.Next add the thinly sliced onions and fry them until they turn slightly brown.Add the green chillies.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 min until the raw smell is gone.
- Then add the mixed veggies and frozen veggies and saute until its well cooked half way through and they still have a crunch.Add salt to taste.Saute until they are almost done around 2 mins.
- Add the garam masala,. Adjust seasonings as per taste.Next add the mint leaves and fry them for a min.
- Add the drained rice to the pan.Gently stir until combined.Add the ghee and mix again.Switch off the flame.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to Instapot/ Rice Cooker/Pressure Cooker.
- Instapot Method : Make sure the valve is in the sealing mode . Click Manual and set the timer to 4 mins. After the instapot beeps it goes to warm mode automatically. Let the pressure release on its own or you can adjust the valve to venting position if you are in a hurry to eat it.
- Rice Cooker Method : Let it cook completely and the rice cooker goes on warm mode.check if the water has been absorbed into the rice .Fluff the rice with a fork after it reaches warm.
- Pressure cooker method: Cook the rice for a one whistle and simmer in low for 5 mins.Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with cucumber or onion raita.
Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful post. Thank you for supplying these details.ReplyDelete