I have been eating a lot of greens lately.Spinach,green beans,green peas and broccoli.I reason I used to hate broccoli is when I go to a Chinese or Thai restaurant, often broccoli is served par-boiled.I hate that.With no salt or pepper I can hardly keep it in my mouth.Thus I never ate this vegetable for a very long time.After making an Indianized version of it, I have it more often than ever and I am loving it.
Broccoli has numerous health benefits and it has been proven to reduce heart disease.Loaded with vitamins,dietary fiber and much more ,this green beauty is now a staple food of mine.All those broccoli haters,I am sure if you make this recipe,you will start loving this awesome veggie !!
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time : 10-15 mins
- Broccoli florets - 2 big
- Onion - 1 big
- Red chili powder/ cayenne pepper powder - 1tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil - 3 tblsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cut the broccoli florets into small pieces eliminating most of the stem.Rinse well with cold water and drain.
- Chop the onion lengthwise.In a large skillet, add the olive oil.After oil gets heated up,add the mustard seeds.When they start popping,add the onions and saute onions until they are caramelized to light brown color.
- Now add the red chili powder,salt,cumin powder,coriander powder and saute them until the raw smell goes.
- Turn the heat down to medium.Add the broccoli,spinkle a little bit of water over them and cover the pan with a lid.Let the broccoli cook for about 5-10 mins stirring occasionally.Adjust salt if needed.
- Serve hot with rice, roti or bread.
Tip :Unlike Cauliflower , do not boil broccoli separately.The dish will be mushy.Just add them along with the onions, they will cook just fine.
|Sauteed onions for broccoli|
|Broccoli before cooking|
|Broccoli after cooking|