Vegetable Kurma is a spicy vegetable stew made by boiling vegetables in aromatic spices to form a stew.Spices and coconut are then added to enhance the flavor and texture.The gravy is then cooked in a large pan in medium heat so the vegetables absorb the spicy stew.This is good with rice and roti.
- Onion - 3
- Tomato - 2
- Carrot - 2
- Potato, medium - 4
- Beans - 5 or 6
- Cauliflower florets - 1 cup roughly cut
- Green peas - a handlful
- Giner garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 2tsp or as desired
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro - a small bunch chopped.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or as desired
To Temper :
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Bay leaves
- Cinnamon stick -1
- Cardamom whole - 3
- Star Anise - 1
- Cloves - 4
- Oil - 4 tblsp
To grind :
- Coconut - 1/2 cup shredded
- Fennel seeds - 1 tblsp
- poppy seed - 1/2 tsp
- cashews - 6
- Cut all the vegetables except onion and tomatoes into large chunks.
- Boil them in an large pan with little salt.Do not drain the water as we will use it for the stew.Instead,you can pressure cook the vegetables for one whistle.
- Add the ingredients under "To grind" to a food processor and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes into small pieces and keep them aside.
- In a large deep bottomed pan,add oil.Add the spices under "To temper". Roast them for a min.
- Add the chopped onion and saute them for 5 min until they start to brown slightly.Add little salt.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 min.Add the chopped tomatoes and mix it well.
- Let them cook until the tomatoes turn light mushy.Now turn the gas to low flame and add garam masala and red chili powder and pinch of salt.
- Add excess oil if required.Mix the masala well and keep sauteing until the raw smell goes.Now add the masala which we ground into a paste.
- Change the flame to medium and keep stirring until oil gets separated from the gravy.Now add the vegetables along with the stew.Mix well and close the pan with a lid.
- Change the flame to low and let it simmer for 15 min.Switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.Serve hot with rice or roti.