Dindigul Thalappakatti Biriyani is very famous in Tamil Nadu known for its authentic southern spices and texture.It is fragrant, spicy, a bit tangy and full of strong flavors..This recipe is an original authentic recipe but instead of chicken I have replaced it with Soya chunks aka the Meal maker.Its rich in protein and has a great taste and texture.
My husband loves this biriyani so much that he could eat this every single day .Ha ha. He insisted a lot that I make this recipe and post it in my blog.So here goes :) ....
- Seeraga Samba rice /KaliJeera rice - 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Dried Soya Chunks - 1 cup
- Curd - 1 cup
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice from - 1 lemon
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves chopped - 1 cup
- Mint leaves chopped - 1 cup
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 3/4 cup
Masala - Ingredients to grind:
- Shallots(small onion) or Large onion - 2 cups
- Garlic pods (peeled) - 15-20
- Medium size ginger - 1
- Green Chilli - 5-7 depends on your spice level.
- Cloves - 3
- Cardamom - 3
- Cinnamon stick broken pieces - 3
- Nutmeg - 1/2 piece
Marinating the Soya chunks:
- In a large pan add water and let it come to boil.Add a bit of salt and 3 tblsp milk.(The milk is to remove the strong smell of soya chunks).Add the dried soya chunks.Let it cook for 10 mins.Drain and let it cool.Squeeze the excess water out of the chunks after they are cooled.
- In a bowl add the curd, red chili powder and a pinch of salt.Mix them well.Add the boiled soya chunks and mix .Let the soya chunks absorb the marinade for atleast 15 mins.
- This is an important step.If the soya doesn't absorb the marinate then the taste would not be that good.If you are using meat then substitute the soya chunks with meat and marinade and cook it in the same method as stated below.
Making the biryani:
- Wash and soak the rice (2 cups) in 4 cups of water for atleast 30 mins.
- Take a food processor and add all the ingredients under "Masala".Pulse them and then grind them until smooth.
- In a large pan add the ghee and oil.Add the ground masala and saute until the raw smell goes and the oil gets separated.This takes about 15-20 mins.
- Add the marinated soya chunks and saute well until the masala is coated well with the soya chunks about 10 mins.
- Take the soaked rice and drain the water into a bowl.Do not throw the water out we are going to add this water into the pan with the masala.Let it come to a boil.
- Add the chopped corainder leaves,mint leaves,lemon juice,salt(check if more salt or red chili powder is needed) and finally add the rice.
When dealing with Seeraga samba rice we have to be careful as it cooks really fast.Please follow the exact timing to avoid overcooked/undercooked rice.
- After adding rice mix them well.Close the pan with a lid.Let it cook on medium flame for 5 mins.
- Then reduce the flame and let it cook in low flame for 10 mins.
- Check if there is any water left out and give a gentle stir.
- Next switch off the flame and close the lid.Let it rest for 15 mins.Please allow it to rest it definitely makes a difference in taste.
- Serve hot with onion raita.
|Enjoy your biriyani :)|